- ► 2014 (19)
- SUMMER SIZZLES EVENT - IMAJIN BOOKS
- The Dennehy Family "United Nations"
- LGBT rights in Russia vs Snowden
- 10 reasons I love my family
- MY 7 (LUCKY NUMBER) FAVORITE BLOGS
- Guest Post: Sandra Miller, Writer from New York
- THE BEST FLASH FICTION READER IN THE UK
- FREE Images and Reasonably Priced Stock Royalty Fr...
- 5 MYTHS ABOUT CANADA EXPOSED
- ▼ July (9)
- ► 2012 (95)
Most Popular Posts
Cheryl Tardif from Imajin Books is publishing my first novel, SpaceHive, in the summer of 2012. It will be in both ebook and trade paperba...
The Fascinating Eileen Schuh featured today with DISPASSIONATE LIES and other great novels ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIMEWELCOME Eileen Schuh with me today to my blog. She is both a friend and fellow author, from the boreal forests of St. Paul, Albe...
Sandra Miller Sandra Miller is a writer and lives in New York. Two times a year she watches Friends sitcom. She loves salsa. Use...
Memorable Characters Writer's Workshop I went to my first writer's workshop last Saturday, put on by the Canadian Authors'...
A Millionaire's Christmas by Brian Porter My 5 star review Christmas being less than two months away, and the unfortunate resul...
Let's follow Annie Hansen -- "I do like a strong female lead"...schizophrenic young woman private eye. On Sale for ...
Morgen Bailey biography Based in Northamptonshire, England, Morgen Bailey (“Morgen with an E”) is a prolific blogger, podcaste...
Naz Sohni Uppal is the Radio South Asia Friday hostess of a show called Naz at Night that runs from 10 p.m. to midnight on World FM 1...
India figures large in my sci-fi fantasy novel, SpaceHive, appropr iate for boys and girls 10 - 14 years old and available on Amazon wo...
TODAY we think about romance once again, and the healing properties of love in the face of adversity or error. I gave my review 4 stars. ...
Monday, July 1, 2013
HAPPY CANADA DAY, FELLOW CANUCKS!!!
Myths about Canada:
- Hockey is our national sport. WRONG. LACROSSE is our national sport. Nobody I know plays lacrosse or watches it, but that's the truth, eh?
- Saskatchewan is the capital of Canada. WRONG. Saskatchewan is a prairie province located between Alberta and Manitoba. The city of OTTAWA, in the province of ONTARIO, is the capital of Canada. Stephen Harper lives there.
- There are no trees or cities in Canada. WRONG. These are seriously questions I was asked on my recent holiday to Michigan by otherwise quite bright people. Softwood lumber is one of our major exports to the USA. I myself live in a city of approximately half a million people (EDMONTON, Alberta), which is the capital of the province of Alberta. I live in a highrise apartment and have never seen a polar bear.
- Our money looks funny. WRONG. Our bills are different colors to make it easy to differentiate them. I heard a story from a woman in the USA recently that she had mistakenly left a waitress an American $100 bill as a tip. They all look the same. The fives are a slightly different shade of blue-green in the USA. Big deal. Our money has neat pictures on it and it doesn't have the all-seeing eye...
- Canadians are called non-resident aliens by the American government and some Americans. I seriously read this on a US government form. I was called an alien on numerous occasions while visiting the USA with a valid and quite recent Canadian passport. I am not an alien. ET is an alien. ALIEN is an alien. I am a Canadian and proud of it and happy to be a Canadian. In my country Americans are not called aliens. Please respect that.
- These are all myths about Canada.I'm just sorry I live in a country that is being rapidly eroded by American values and American debts.
Let's watch the fireworks on July 1 (Canada Day) and join in the celebrations. I always walk down to the Promenade a block away and watch the fireworks at eleven p.m.
- GOOGLE has our Parliament Buildings featured. Check it out; my 5 myths are really only a fraction of the myths about Canada, but perhaps Google will straighten you out and inform the uninformed, eh? Or maybe not.
|This is me at a baseball game in July 2011|