- ► 2014 (19)
- KAT FLANNERY - LAKOTA HONOR!!
- BIGFOOT BOY ACCEPTED BY PUBLISHER
- Writers' Conference Wrap-up
- Words in 3 Dimensions This Weekend
- Kenna McKinnon: German News Reels
- Russia, India and China
- Space Program
- Problems Posting Blog
- India News and Pictures
- Funny commercials on youtube
- WRITING ESSENTIALS BY MORGEN BAILEY
- COMMENT OF THE DAY
- Guest Post by Roy Huff, Author of Everville
- Guest Blog on Crime Writing by Morgen Bailey
- MEAN BEE
- MEMORIES OF MOTHER
- How to Lose Weight?
- 99 cents for a great book
- ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION SALE WITH AUTHOR EXTRAORDI...
- INTERVIEW WITH EILEEN SCHUH, AUTHOR OF THE TRAZ, F...
- CHEAP YOUNG ADULT BOOK SALES
- Stop and smell the roses song
- ▼ May (23)
- ► 2012 (95)
Most Popular Posts
It is my pleasure to welcome author Mari Collier to my blog today. We’ll start out with a few questions. If you choose not to a...
Cheryl Tardif from Imajin Books is publishing my first novel, SpaceHive, in the summer of 2012. It will be in both ebook and trade paperba...
Sandra Miller Sandra Miller is a writer and lives in New York. Two times a year she watches Friends sitcom. She loves salsa. Use...
The Fascinating Eileen Schuh featured today with DISPASSIONATE LIES and other great novels ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIMEWELCOME Eileen Schuh with me today to my blog. She is both a friend and fellow author, from the boreal forests of St. Paul, Albe...
Memorable Characters Writer's Workshop I went to my first writer's workshop last Saturday, put on by the Canadian Authors'...
Naz Sohni Uppal is the Radio South Asia Friday hostess of a show called Naz at Night that runs from 10 p.m. to midnight on World FM 1...
We all build walls and then we build bridges. Why build walls at all? Yoko Ono left John Lennon for 18 months and encouraged him to mov...
A Millionaire's Christmas by Brian Porter My 5 star review Christmas being less than two months away, and the unfortunate resul...
I'll be in beautiful sunny Vancouver when you read this, taking a long overdue vacation. I'll be back on Thursday, May 24th. Hig...
TODAY we think about romance once again, and the healing properties of love in the face of adversity or error. I gave my review 4 stars. ...
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Stop and Smell the Roses
Origin of "stop and smell the roses"
Song by Mac Davis
- A search on the web is inconclusive, but it might be a variant on a similar saying, "Stop and smell the flowers" - which is a misquote of advice from the golfer Walter Hagen that appeared in the 1956 book "The Walter Hagen Story":
You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way. Source(s): Yale Book of Quotations
Happy couple in flower garden
Happy couple five years later
Big time waster and distraction
- It's also suggested that the saying originated with a record by Ringo Starr in 1981 called "Stop and smell the roses" but the saying seems to have been in use long before that.
|Majestic bald eagle|
- Apparently it's a cliche in the United States and some sites suggest it probably originated in the U.S.
Why I want to turn off the computerI find myself at the keyboard almost all day and part of the night. When I'm working at the computer I'm writing my blog, writing or editing, banking, reading and replying to emails, working at my medical transcription business, shopping on eBay or Amazon, or promoting my books. Or shhhhh...wasting time! I don't play games, which would be a REAL waste of time IMHO.
|Kittens don't spend all day on computers|
- In the last couple of months I've put down the pretty blue and white mouse a friend bought me because I wore the other one out (and I've almost worn out the keys on my keyboard) but I've begun to interact more with REAL people and REAL situations.
- I joined the Canadian Authors Association, became more active in meetings at the Schizophrenia Society of Alberta and CAA, as well as the Writers' Guild of Alberta.
- I've gone out to a couple of concerts and a couple of hockey games, including tonight (GO OIL KINGS!).
Oil Kings hockey won the final play-off game tonight
- I want to spend more time in the gym and outside now that summer is almost here.
- I want to spend more time in the kitchen and begin a hobby of healthy eating and cooking.
- I want to spend more time with friends here in Edmonton, and
- travel a bit.
Maybe travel to Michigan?
Yes, I want to stop and smell the roses
|Lovely crimson roses, can you smell them yet?|
|Kitten at window|
What about you? How do you disconnect from cybernumb? Do you want to stop and smell the roses or are you happy with the blue light on your face and the "e" key sticking because you use it so often? heh heh
Labels:computer keyboard,computers wasting time,flowers,having fun,Mac Davis,Michigan and Ohio,Ringo Starr,song,stop and smell the roses,travel