- ► 2014 (19)
- SPACEHIVE 99 CENTS MAY 3 - 10, 2013
- When Your Old Neighborhood Changes
- Spring Diets
- Writing an Essay About a Memorable Character
- Time for Questions about Myths and Nero and Rome a...
- Health Effects and Side Effects of Cinnamon
- Sesame Yogut Cheesecake from Lesley
- COOKING WITH HONEY RECIPES
- The Oxford Comma (Vampire Weekend)
- She Writes with Love - for Katie Jennings
- Fairytale Wedding Story
- NEW XBOX COMING OUT
- SpaceHive Kindle 99 Cents on Amazon May 3 - 10 inc...
- Shop for April Showers on eBay
- Fox News Bashes Canadian Military Site youtube.com...
- Canadian Culture vs American Culture
- CAPTCHA What do you think?
- Modern and Archaic Greek Economy vs American Econo...
- German News Reels
- DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP
- Space Oddity Revisited
- REST IN PEACE, STEVE 1968-2012
- INTERVIEW WITH ROY HUFF, AUTHOR OF EVERVILLE: THE ...
- UNDERSTANDING THE STIGMA OF MENTAL ILLNESS
- Alison Can Read Follow Bloggers
- $99 Vacations
- Fireball at Chelyabinsk
- Teen Humor
- SPRING FLOWERS DECORATIONS
- SPRING DIET TIPS
- Things to do April 1
- ▼ April (31)
- ► 2012 (95)
Most Popular Posts
Cheryl Tardif from Imajin Books is publishing my first novel, SpaceHive, in the summer of 2012. It will be in both ebook and trade paperba...
The Fascinating Eileen Schuh featured today with DISPASSIONATE LIES and other great novels ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIMEWELCOME Eileen Schuh with me today to my blog. She is both a friend and fellow author, from the boreal forests of St. Paul, Albe...
Sandra Miller Sandra Miller is a writer and lives in New York. Two times a year she watches Friends sitcom. She loves salsa. Use...
Memorable Characters Writer's Workshop I went to my first writer's workshop last Saturday, put on by the Canadian Authors'...
A Millionaire's Christmas by Brian Porter My 5 star review Christmas being less than two months away, and the unfortunate resul...
Let's follow Annie Hansen -- "I do like a strong female lead"...schizophrenic young woman private eye. On Sale for ...
Morgen Bailey biography Based in Northamptonshire, England, Morgen Bailey (“Morgen with an E”) is a prolific blogger, podcaste...
India figures large in my sci-fi fantasy novel, SpaceHive, appropr iate for boys and girls 10 - 14 years old and available on Amazon wo...
Naz Sohni Uppal is the Radio South Asia Friday hostess of a show called Naz at Night that runs from 10 p.m. to midnight on World FM 1...
TODAY we think about romance once again, and the healing properties of love in the face of adversity or error. I gave my review 4 stars. ...
Saturday, April 20, 2013
Courtesy Michelle Meiklejohn freedigitalphotos.net
WebMD's site and what it says about cinnamon
I looked up WebMD's site on the health benefits of cinnamon and its side effects. Here's what I gleaned from a site I consider more authoritative than others:
Two kinds of cinnamon
Sure enough, there are two kinds of cinnamon:
- Ceylon cinnamon or "true" cinnamon, which is lighter colored than the more usual cassia cinnamon.
- Cassia cinnamon may lower blood sugar in people with diabetes, but studies are inconclusive and not all studies have found a benefit.
Cinnamon used as medicine throughout the world?
- Cinnamon is an extract from the bark of the cinnamon tree and traditionally has been used as medicine "throughout the world."
- WebMD says that cinnamon may reduce inflammation, have antioxidant and antibacterial properties, but again, other studies have not found a benefit, so it's "unclear what role cinnamon may play in improving health."
Cinnamon delicious as a spice
- As a spice, sprinkled on toast and lattes, it's delicious and mixed with honey especially.
Here we have a cute little grandma making cinnamon rolls, complete with recipe. What would be a post about cinnamon without cinnamon rolls, America's favorite sweet bun?
Side Effects and Risks of Cinnamon
- Very high doses may be toxic.
- There is no established dose.
- Some studies have used between 1 - 6 grams of cinnamon or 1/2 - 1 tsp.
- It may lower blood sugar so should be used with caution if you are diabetic.
- It usually causes no side effects, but heavy use may cause sores in your mouth and lips due to irritation, and applied to the skin may cause redness and irritation.
- People who have cancer like breast cancer, affected by hormone levels, should not take cinnamon.
- Coumarin, an ingredient in some cinnamon products, may cause liver problems.
- There is lack of information about its safety, thus is not recommended for children or pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Talk to your doctor before taking cinnamon supplements if you take medications regularly. Cinnamon supplements could "interact with antibiotics, diabetes drugs, blood thinners, heart medicines, and others."
As with any supplement, caution is advised, I think mostly with high doses of any supplement or alternative medicine.
- I continue to enjoy a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on toast and honey, or on a latte.
- Any more cinnamon recipes out there?
- Any comments about the use or abuse of cinnamon or any other food product?
|Girl eating cinnamon roll|
Labels:alternative medicines,breast cancer risks,cinnamon,cinnamon rolls,grandma making cinnamon rolls,health effects of cinnamon,side effects of cinnamon,spice