- ► 2014 (19)
- SPACEHIVE 99 CENTS MAY 3 - 10, 2013
- When Your Old Neighborhood Changes
- Spring Diets
- Writing an Essay About a Memorable Character
- Time for Questions about Myths and Nero and Rome a...
- Health Effects and Side Effects of Cinnamon
- Sesame Yogut Cheesecake from Lesley
- COOKING WITH HONEY RECIPES
- The Oxford Comma (Vampire Weekend)
- She Writes with Love - for Katie Jennings
- Fairytale Wedding Story
- NEW XBOX COMING OUT
- SpaceHive Kindle 99 Cents on Amazon May 3 - 10 inc...
- Shop for April Showers on eBay
- Fox News Bashes Canadian Military Site youtube.com...
- Canadian Culture vs American Culture
- CAPTCHA What do you think?
- Modern and Archaic Greek Economy vs American Econo...
- German News Reels
- DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP
- Space Oddity Revisited
- REST IN PEACE, STEVE 1968-2012
- INTERVIEW WITH ROY HUFF, AUTHOR OF EVERVILLE: THE ...
- UNDERSTANDING THE STIGMA OF MENTAL ILLNESS
- Alison Can Read Follow Bloggers
- $99 Vacations
- Fireball at Chelyabinsk
- Teen Humor
- SPRING FLOWERS DECORATIONS
- SPRING DIET TIPS
- Things to do April 1
- ▼ April (31)
- ► 2012 (95)
Most Popular Posts
Cheryl Tardif from Imajin Books is publishing my first novel, SpaceHive, in the summer of 2012. It will be in both ebook and trade paperba...
Sandra Miller Sandra Miller is a writer and lives in New York. Two times a year she watches Friends sitcom. She loves salsa. Use...
Memorable Characters Writer's Workshop I went to my first writer's workshop last Saturday, put on by the Canadian Authors'...
The Fascinating Eileen Schuh featured today with DISPASSIONATE LIES and other great novels ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIMEWELCOME Eileen Schuh with me today to my blog. She is both a friend and fellow author, from the boreal forests of St. Paul, Albe...
It is my pleasure to welcome author Mari Collier to my blog today. We’ll start out with a few questions. If you choose not to a...
Morgen Bailey biography Based in Northamptonshire, England, Morgen Bailey (“Morgen with an E”) is a prolific blogger, podcaste...
A Millionaire's Christmas by Brian Porter My 5 star review Christmas being less than two months away, and the unfortunate resul...
Naz Sohni Uppal is the Radio South Asia Friday hostess of a show called Naz at Night that runs from 10 p.m. to midnight on World FM 1...
TODAY we think about romance once again, and the healing properties of love in the face of adversity or error. I gave my review 4 stars. ...
I have a story for Katie Jenning's friend. I just wrote it for her now because she may be young and not knowing love is sometimes a ...
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Greek Economy, Old and New vs American Economy Now
The isles of Greece, the isles of Greece
Where burning Sappho loved and sung,
Where grew the arts of war and peace,
Where Delos rose and Phoebus sprung
Eternal summer gilds them yet
But all, except their sun, is set.
Archaic Greek Economy
- Greece went through a Dark Age before the Archaic Age, about which we know little. The Dark Age followed shortly after the Trojan War and ended in the 8th century B.C., followed by the Archaic Age.
Apollo playing lyre
- The word Archaic is from the Greek word arche which means "the beginning."
- The Archaic Age was a time when the Hellenic state expanded. Greeks from the mainland sailed to settle the Ionian coast, and had contact with new ideas from Asia Minor.
- The first philosophers sprang up from colonists who began to question the world around them and life or the cosmos.
- Cities had marketplaces and trade took place, but profit and trade were considered corrupting. Slaves did the work that was considered demeaning for a citizen.
- New art forms emerged in Greece, such as the music of the 7-stringed lyre and lyric verses, and statuary based on Egyptian models.
- Coinage began toward the end of the Archaic Age, although there was resistance, and the development of coins helped promote trade.
Current Greek Economy
- Fast forward to 2013, when the debt-stricken country is selling off state owned property in an attempt to privatize much of the bloated Greek infrastructure.
- Leftist politics collide and create opportunities for neo-Nazis such as Golden Dawn.
- There's an "unprecedented humanitarian crisis" and the Euro is in danger of collapsing, as well as the rest of the European economies.
- Hundreds of thousands of families are without a breadwinner.
This has been compared and paralleled to the current economy in the United States.
What do you think about comparing the Greek economy to that of the United States?
Is there any going back to a milder, gentler, more idyllic, isolationist, and innocent time?
Do we want to do that or should we soldier on and try to shore up the failing economies with modern economic knowledge and belt tightening?
Have our banks and governments failed?
Reality Report. Do you agree and what should we do about it? Has President Obama failed? Did the Republicans plunge America into a foreign war that drained the country's resources and manpower, and destroyed the economy?
What is the answer?
Labels:archaic Greece,comparing Greece and America,foreign war,Golden Dawn,Greece,Greek economy,Greek history,money,news reports,Reality Report,the Isles of Greece poem,US economy,world economy 2013